Getting to Nicaragua
- Pelican Eyes is easily reached by International Flight to Managua, Nicaragua or Liberia, Costa Rica
- Pelican Eyes recommends a Managua arrival for most clients. American, Continental, Delta, Iberia, Sol and Taca Airlines all offer convenient flights to Managua.
- Contact our concierge by email at email@example.com to arrange shuttle transportation from Managua. Some of our guests may find it convenient to stay overnight close to the airport before traveling to Pelican Eyes. Our concierge can arrange accomodation for you in Managua, or at Casa La Sirena or one of our partner hotels in the heart of historic colonial Granada.
- Clients who chose to arrive via Costa Rica may fly to Liberia on America West, Continental, or Delta.
Rental Cars & Inter-Country Bus Transportation:
- Rental cars are available, however, Pelican Eyes suggests that driving in Nicaragua cab be challenging, and is best left to experienced Nicaragua travelers and professionals.
- In most cases, rental cars are not allowed to cross the border. To travel from Liberia, Costa Rica to San Juan del Sur, you may wish to take a taxi to the border and arrange with our concierge to be met at the border for the balance of the trip to Pelican Eyes. The border crossing itself is very busy and there can be substantial delays.
Immigration & Customs:
- Visitors from North America and most European countries are not required to have a visa to enter Nicaragua, but you will need a passport with at least six months remaining duration, and pay an entry fee of ten ($10) US dollars.
Traveling to Pelican Eyes Hotel
- The staff at Pelican Eyes would be happy to arrange transportation for you from the Managua airport or other points in Nicaragua. Please let us know how we can assist you once you have confirmed your travel plans and arrival date.
- From Managua, drive south on CA-1 to the town of Rivas and follow the signs westward to reach San Juan del Sur (approximately 28km/17 miles). Please use the following landmarks and directions to get to our hotel. Upon entering the town and just beyond the Texaco Station, continue on the main road into downtown San Juan del Sur; follow the street down to the beach about 3 blocks. Turn left where the street comes to a “T”, Restaurante El Timón restaurant will be in front. Drive two blocks and turn left (the BDF bank will be on your left). Continue straight until you reach our hotel about four blocks (past the park and church). Drive straight up the cobblestone driveway. Park in the car park at the top of the driveway and our welcoming staff will take it from there!
- Express buses leave the parada del bus [bus stop] at Managua’s Mercado Roberto Huembes [Central Market] several times each day for the two-and-a-half-hour journey to San Juan del Sur, beginning at 6 a.m. From the bus station in San Juan, it is just a two-block walk to Pelican Eyes, or, if you’d prefer, a local taxi will gladly transport you and your luggage to the hotel.